Bamboo floor is highly appreciated by consumers because of its texture, quality and the advantages it offers. Its stylish and contemporary appeal makes it a good option for remodeling floors. Bamboo is also a wonderful alternative for hardwood floors because the physical appearance of both are same. Choosing a good quality bamboo floor requires some prior knowledge about its types. The price is determined according to its origin and the quality guaranteed by the manufacturer. There are certain important factors that you should consider while pondering on how to choose a bamboo floor. We provide you some good tips on this.
Choosing a Bamboo Floor
You have to scrutinize the pros and cons of bamboo floors before taking any decision. Moreover, the type of bamboo floor that you choose will depend on the interior decoration of your house and the prevailing climatic conditions. The color of the bamboo is another important factor that should be considered. Take a look at those important factors that you must know before installing a bamboo floor.
- First of all you have to consider the purpose of use while laying a bamboo floor. Indoor and outdoor floors are usually constructed with horizontal or vertical sheets of bamboo while strand-woven bamboo is much preferred for outdoor spaces like a porch or a portico. Bamboo floors installed at outdoors should also be U.V resistant.
- Avoid carbonized bamboo since they are comparatively softer than strand-woven bamboo, which is known to be the hardest quality of bamboo. The biggest disadvantage of using carbonized bamboo is, it easily gets dented when subjected to pressure. Thus, it is not a suitable option for floors.
- Strand woven bamboo is probably the best quality bamboo not only because of its durability but also because of its weather-resistant properties. It is manufactured from bamboo strips that are further molded and shredded into strands and then glued with resins. This quality is unique to strand woven bamboo that offers complete protection to the flooring.
- Since daily activities are carried out on the floor, you must look for durable and scratch resistant varieties. You can also get an additional acrylic coating done on the surface of the bamboo for giving extra protection. Look for moisture resistant varieties, that could be cleaned easily by wet moping. The quality of bamboo should be such that it is capable of withstanding vacuum cleaning.
- While remodeling your floor with vertical bamboo, you will observe thin strips having fine lines that run between a narrow stalk. This is a characteristic properly of vertical strips and you can easily identify it with these specifications. Similarly, horizontal bamboo strips have three distinct layers, that are stacked with each other. The middle strip is comparatively narrow and sleek while the rest two layers are wide and flat.
- We often get attracted by the external appeal and come to know the disadvantages only after using. Bamboo floors having light shades could be remodeled easily with darker tones. Thus, the choice of floors also depends upon the texture and color of the bamboo. Check with the supplier regarding the staining options suitable for the product that you are going to purchase.
- Choosing the color of bamboo floor and determining its staining properties are two different aspects. Although the natural light shade of bamboo has a traditional approach you can still look for different options that will complement the interiors of your house. A few good colors include burnt mocha, rec cognac, coffee brown, Irish moss, etc. These colors have contemporary appeal, which when used in the right proportion beautifies interiors with excellence.
- If your budget is low, you can temporarily get an unfinished bamboo flooring and then complete the work when needed. There are certain disadvantages of using unfinished bamboo because it’s devoid of protective coating. In order to save some expenses, you end up spending a huge sum merely on repair cost. Thus, go for pre-finished bamboo floors that have been chemically treated to its durability and texture.
Always consult with an experienced person, check out the product reviews and compare the costs before deciding the type of flooring suitable for your home.